Monday, November 20, 2006

Some letters I recentely exchanged with people

To me:

bs"d

I spent time understanding your texts, and I find you very throught-provoking. I am sure you are not fitting into the mainstream chareidi kehilla at all - and you should be thankful that you are not! Many times, what is preserved in the Sephardi/Mizrahi/Temani edot is much closer to what I would call true Judaism. I wish that the many rabbonim in the west would appreciate the Jewish scholars who came out of the Middle East after the destruction of the Second Bet HaMikdash. There is a sea of wisdom, a rich heritage and immense knowledge within the Jewish kehilla of the Middle East and North Africa. You know this, I am sure. But I just needed to tell you that.

You're very mature for your age, or so I think. And you are - in my opinion - very brave for writing out an Arabic name in the alias. I'm almost eight years older than you, so I doubt I am writing to you as a possible "spouse". I just wanted to let you know that you are making perfect sense, in a world where the most watered down, irrational theories get more space than the richer, more authentic ideas from our Sephardi gedolim. Keep up learning. Maybe one day you can help Am Yisrael in a very unique way.

Kol tuv,
פלונית


From Me: Hi,

"I spent time understanding your texts, and I find you very thought-provoking"- Oh, wow, thanks! I am honored (I don't know why but in my mind that's coming out in an English accent).

"I am sure you are not fitting into the mainstream chareidi kehilla at all"- I'm even more honored! Yeah, theres no question that the chareidim scare away possible converts, but even more importantly, Jews themselves.

"I wish that the many rabbonim in the west would appreciate the Jewish scholars who came out of the Middle East after the destruction of the Second Bet HaMikdash"- You know I just want to mention that the more I think about it the more it's true: the Judaism of the 'early Spanish scholors', and especially the Ramba"m was very different that that -for example- of the Jews of eastern Europe in the past 200 years.I'm sure you know what I'm talking about (the more of the Ramba"ms writings you read the more you see it). And also feel that one of the only people and groups to sort of follow the Ramba"ms (for example) ideologies in a real way was Rabbi Simshon R'fael Hirsh and his followers. And that after they disapeared from the map of orthodox Jews, nobody has come again who really resembles their ideals (even the 'modern orthodox machmir' are much more 'eastern Europe oriented').

"You're very mature for your age, or so I think"- Oh, thanks. (that's a compliment to me). I was actually recently dating a Sefardi American girl who was 18, but metally and personality wise was more like 40! She 'put me to shame'!"

And you are - in my opinion - very brave for writing out an Arabic name in the alias"- Yeah, it's a bit risque maybe.

Just some questions on your profile perhaps for a second: "Since I grew up by the sea, nature means a lot to me"- ??? (me; making sort of a confused face. but aren't there like, more trees and stuff away from the coast?)

"When I returned from the Middle East (I lived there for almost two years), I realized what I had been taking for granted all my life. If you would like to know what that was, write me a message"- Please, enlighten me.

anyway,
אלף תודות. ירבו כמותך בישראל! ויהי רצון שה ישלח לך את זיווגך הראוי לך בקרוב אכי"ר
ממני הצעיר
שלמה בן רפאל
למשפחת שריקי
ס"ט

No comments: