Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Art of the Pen

I've been looking back at some of my past writing recently (mostly emails). ...it was pretty bad. Even some stuff from less than two years ago is simply embarrassing. Fifteen years olds, and not even the most educated ones, would put that writing to shame (I even wonder if it would be intellectually dishonest for me to got back and correct some of my earlier posts here).

I started writing on this blog (and at all) in 2006, and it seems my writing hasn't become even reasonably acceptable in regards to grammar and syntax until a year and a half ago. ...though the truth is I only have 26 posts from '06, and most of them are just articles I found online. And I only wrote 10 short posts in '07. So it's not unbelievable that my writing has only started to improve recently. Pretty much coinciding with my attendance at Touro I guess.

It's kind of sad though; I had a lot of interesting ideas between the ages of 18 and 22 that it would have been nice to have written down. Now I barely remember how I felt about things then. Knowing how to properly record your thoughts is a great benefit. Which is partially why our ancestors in Spain attached religious importance to topics which seem so secular, such as grammar, syntax, poetry and oration. I say, if I the only thinע I would have gained from this blog is improving my writing, it would have been worth it.

2 comments:

Yossi said...

"the art of the keyboard".
I agree that it's always better to express your thoughts. even if nobody is reading them. just for yourself to have, and compare them to down the road

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

Knew you'd agree man ; ). It's just a different kind of paper for your "chiddushim notebook". Otherwise it's just some inane online popularity contest! : P